Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I've been in Fort Dauphin for two weeks already. It feels great to be back! Although it has been rainier than normal, we have also had our fair share of sun and have spent some time on the beautiful beaches of FD. I am definitely from Alberta...just had to start off with a weather report.

Things are on the verge of settling into some sort of routine. I spent the first week living in the Azafady 'crash pad', which is just that. I shared a room of bunkbeds with other volunteers and an astounding diversity of bedbugs, cockroaches, and mice. I have now moved into a great little house that I am renting from a Malagasy family. Pictures to be posted soon.

The long term volunteers are very much living within the culture and amongst the people. We do our shopping at the local market (also worthy of future photos). I managed to make my limited Malagasy understood and came home with a knife, sugar, salt, oil, and a variety of veggies. I feel a lot of motivation to learn the Malagasy language, so I can do better than just 'get by'. Thankfully, I am surrounded by wonderful Malagasy people who are always willing to teach a tidbit or two!

The English teaching program is about to get up and running. The local high school has one English teacher for 1000 students, so we will be helping the poor guy out until Christmas. About 110 unemployed adults have showed interest in taking English classes with us, in hopes of using that skill to find work. We are starting refresher classes with them next week, and will start modules in January. A year ago, when I was here as a pioneer in the bush village of Beandry, there were two boys who walked an hour almost everyday to practice their English with us. A few days ago, they walked for eight hours to Fort Dauphin so they could be placed in one of our English classes!

I hope all is well at home.

Aminy manaraka koa

3 comments:

  1. I remember those boys! That's incredible! Looking forward to the photos!
    Love
    Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Heidi,

    You seem to be fitting in to the routine well. Glad you're doing well. To walk 8 hours to join your program, wow. Kids over here get a ride to the bus stop. We take so much for granted. The the updates coming.

    Love you always.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday.
    Sounds like you're getting on well.
    Stay safe and sexy!

    Lots of love,
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete